Registered: February 2006
Location: St Paul, MN
Forest Hill Cemetery
this guy bought the Wells house
James L. Babcock bought the Wells house in 1890 when he moved to Ann Arbor to manage the wool business of his uncle, Luther James. Past and Present of Washtenaw County (1906) states that Babcock paid some $10,000 for the property "which was surrounded by beautiful and extensive grounds, richly adorned with flowers and ornamental trees and situated in one of the most delightful portions of the town."
Luther James left a fortune to his nephew on the condition that he marry within five years. James Babcock met the deadline by marrying Ella Stanley Butler of Waukesha, WI on Sept 29, 1892, and proceeded to remodel the house throughout. Embossed leather wall coverings were imported from Europe for the reception rooms, as were carving, mirrors and marble. The Babcock coat of arms was done in stained glass for the windows on the north side of a rear addition. Elegant beveled and etched glass still remains in other windows and doors.
In 1910, after the death of James Babcock, a third story was added, and the mansion and carriage house were converted to multifamily use.
Ella Stanley Babcock must have remarrried a man named Dudley after the death of James Babcock